Picture your self at 90 years old.
Who will you be?
What will you be like?
Tonight we celebrated (Justin’s) granddads 90th birthday. I asked him if he could believe it. He answered by saying “no”. When I asked him how old he felt I had to laugh when he responded “90!”
Its true.. Granddad has really aged in the last few years.
We enjoyed a lovely dinner at the spaghetti factory with all of Granddads family…there are 20 of us now.
When Justin and I started dating nearly 6 and a half years ago, I met Nana and Grandpa for the first time.
I was surprised at what a close connection Justin had with his Grandparents. I was surprised at what delightful people they were. And Instantly I fell in love, Especially with Nana. Nana has been gone for 8 months now…it’s still hard to believe. Grandpa is alone now. He lives close to his family in an assisted living home. But he is alone. My heart aches when I think of how terrible it would be to loose your partner after 64 years of marriage.
I’ve heard stories from Justin of his granddad…swimming in the lake, at the water slides at 75 years old…the VW bus, the skiing as a young man, reading stories, working around the house…. Although age has taken away his ability to do the things he once did, grandpa continues, with a life of grace dignity and class. He is a marvelous man… Happy birthday!
No comments:
Post a Comment